Wholesale 101

Amazon Will Create 100,000 New Full Time Jobs By Mid 2018

Internet retail giant Amazon announced in January that it will create 100,000 new full time jobs in the United States by mid-year 2018. The jobs, according to the company, will be full time and full benefit positions, including both remote and location based opportunities.  New jobs created will include entry level, engineering, and software development positions. Many jobs will be created for the purpose of staffing new fulfillment centers, such as those currently under construction in Texas, California and New Jersey. Others will be corporate and tech positions, enabling Amazon to continue to develop new web based products and services.

Amazon currently employs 180,000 in the United States. Over 10,000 of these are veterans, and Amazon has pledged to hire 25,000 more veterans in the next 5 years. In addition to the full time positions, Amazon will continue to expand Marketplace and Flex, its package delivery service.   

Benefits offered by Amazon will certainly appeal to job applicants. Amazon boasts a competitive tuition program, Career Choice. Through this program, employees are responsible for only 5% of their tuition cost for any high-demand field; Amazon pre-pays the remaining 95%. The company also offers up to 20 weeks paid leave for new parents, and benefits are the same for entry level employees as they are for senior executives.

Amazon came under scrutiny in 2015 after the publication of a New York Times expose. The article described Amazon as a “bruising workplace” due to its competitive practices.  Cited were a lack of attention to work-life balance, unreasonable demands placed on employees and the absence of job security.  Despite the report, however, the company has continued its growth, even patenting a drone based “flying warehouse”.

Since its inception in 1994, Seattle-based Amazon has evolved from an online bookstore to an international retailer and cloud computing company. It has surpassed even Walmart as the most valuable retailer in the United States by market capitalization.

Manufacturer.com

TopTenWholesale Videos