Big name brands like Coke, Intel, Disneyland, and Starbucks are using Facebook as a primary tool to reach out to customers and to promote their business. And why shouldn’t they? There are over a billion people using Facebook, where users access the social media platform on their desktop and mobile. Did you know that Facebook is on three of every four smartphones and that more than half of people on Facebook check their account multiple times every day? So why shouldn’t you create an account? If you have been contemplating whether a business Facebook account is right for your company, there are some factors to take into consideration. With the addition of any social media to your marketing plan, it is important to weigh the benefits of having the platform and the commitment needed to make it successful. Business Benefits Increased exposure: Facebook boasts that advertising reaches 89% (compared to general online advertising at 39%) of your intended audience, increasing the value of each of your ads. Also, having a Facebook page increases your exposure to potential clients and gathers more leads. Customizable ads: Facebook gives you an easy to use tool for ad creation for different goals: more page likes, promoting pages, more app users, increase app engagement, or increase event attendance. Whatever your goal, Facebook allows you to select the right combination of ads, targeting each ad for different audiences. $0 upfront marketing expense: Creating a Facebook account costs zilch! The only investment would be your time. Boost SEO and web traffic: Understand that the more times your company name appears, the more optimized your company is in search engines. Higher rankings = more web traffic. Commitment Required Long-term commitment: As with any social media, time needs to be invested. If you expect followers to be active, you in turn must be active on your account. Give people a reason to check your page and engage with your company. Understand your audience: When it comes to social media marketing, understanding your audience is crucial to the success of your page. There are two steps here: (1) defining who your audience is and (2) understanding how to market to them. When it comes to social media, your followers want to connect with the company and not be sold to. So follow the 80/20 rule. 80% should be content of value while the other 20% can be promotional. Review, review, review: Last, but definitely not least, you must measure and review your return. This includes what posts and ads received the most engagement, what is trending with your followers, what is the fan reach for each post, etc? Understanding what appeals to your followers will help you create content that will encourage engagement for future posts.